Published On: Sun, Sep 30th, 2012

Punjab varsity management accused of mismanagement BS(Hons) 4-year programme

LAHORE – While the students of six autonomous colleges affiliated with the Punjab University are leaving the BS(Hons) 4-year programme because of uncertainty and lack of infrastructure, the principals of said institutions are struggling hard to make the same a success.

Both teachers and students told this scribe that the Punjab University administration are responsible for mismanagement of the programme, because semester examinations are often delayed, resulting in further delay of the teaching schedule.

The teachers said the Punjab University often delayed the semester examinations because of which new sessions could not be started on time. They also viewed that the semester system was not being implemented in letter and spirit in the colleges affiliated with the Punjab University.

“The semester system is totally teacher-centred but in the six autonomous colleges affiliated with the Punjab University for BS(Hons) programme, external examiners set question papers and there is no say of the teachers who actually teach those courses. Because of this, a large number of students fail and ultimately leave the programme,” they alleged.

A few days ago, the Punjab University issued a notification to the affiliated colleges stating that 40 per cent marks would remain in the hands of the teacher, while the university would conduct examination for the remaining 60 per cent marks.

To discuss the issues arising out of the Punjab University notification, a meeting was held at the Government MAO College on Saturday with Principal Prof Dr Farhan Ebadat Yar Khan in the chair. The meeting was also attended by the principal of Government Science College, Wahdat Road, Lahore; vice principal of Government Degree College for Boys, Satellite Town, Gujranwala; and vice principal of Government Degree College for Girls, Satellite Town, Gujranwala; and BS(Hons) programme coordinators and teaching staff of the six affiliated colleges.

According to a teacher, only the principal of Government Islamia College, Civil Lines, Lahore, did not attend the meeting. “Only the BS(Hons) programme coordinator of the college attended the meeting, showing complete lack of interest of the college administration in the issue. On the other hand, the students of the college always lead the protests against the BS(Hons) programme,” the teacher commented.

According to a press release issued by the Government MAO College, after detailed discussions and deliberations, proposals were finalised in line with a notification of the Punjab University regarding the BS(Hons) programme. These proposals will be presented in a meeting of the Punjab University administration with the principals of six affiliated colleges on Monday (tomorrow). The Nation

View the original article here

About the Author

-